Sunday, January 15, 2012

I think I'm addicted

Looking around and wasting hours of time on Pinterest this week, I discovered a blog, Smells Like Home, that shares a recipe for the most amazing, highly addictive double chocolate cookies ever!  You can find the blog and recipe here

I did alter the recipe a bit to factor in my oh so lovely annoying need to avoid dairy.  I also made the cookies normal sized so that it made far more than the 12 giant cookies that Tara made.  I like to think that making the cookies smaller means I can have more than just one.  Right?  Because, let's be honest, I've had so many today I don't even want to tell you the number.  I think I've come up with every possible excuse as to why I need to have another cookie...Dave just ate a cookie, I should eat a cookie; I need a little dessert with lunch; they are quite small, so another one is okay. I even offered Dave a cookie, just so I could have another one.  I really think I have a problem. 

So I figure, it's only fair that I offer this amazing recipe to everyone else.  Here is my altered non dairy version of the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Crisco Baking Sticks cubed (if you can eat dairy, go for the real stuff, butter!)
  • 1 1/4 cups + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup good quality dark cocoa powder
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 1/2 cups semi-sweet Enjoy Life Mega semi-sweet chocolate Mega Chunks (dairy, nut & soy free!)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the shortening and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. On low speed, stir in the cocoa powder until well blended. Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Transfer the dough to a work surface and with slightly damp hands to prevent sticking, knead briefly by hand to be sure the ingredients are well combined.
  3. Roll each portion of dough into a 1" ball and flatten just slightly into a disc. Place on the prepared baking sheets, two inches apart.
  4. Bake 8-9 minutes, until you’re just able to lift the edges up off the pan without breaking the dough. Let cool on the baking sheets 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Seriously, you need to try these.  Go and make some now!

No comments:

Post a Comment